This week’s Westwood One blog post looks at the rise of smart speaker adoption and how this shift in media use has brought AM/FM radio back into the home via smart speaker AM/FM radio streaming.
- Smart speaker ownership is bigger than ever: According to Nielsen, 28% of U.S. households own a smart speaker.
- Smart speaker streaming is on the rise: 19% of streaming listening to AM/FM radio stations occurred via smart speaker at the start of this year, up from 9% in January 2018.
- Streaming audiences skew female: 68% of the total music streaming audience is female, compared to 50% of the on-air audience to the same AM/FM radio stations. Across the board, streaming formats also skew more female including Adult Contemporary, CHR, Country, Classic Hits, Classic Rock, Rock, and Urban.
- Smart speaker users listen longer and more often: Smart speaker AM/FM radio streamers listen to 7:55 hours and 6.3 sessions per month, higher than the average streaming listener.
- Smart speaker streaming is a weekend activity: A higher proportion of smart speaker streaming occurs on Saturdays and Sundays. Smart speaker listening on the weekend peaks between 11AM and 6PM.