CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One conducted an analysis of U.S. podcast promotion on U.S. AM/FM radio using Media Monitors, the largest ad occurrence measurement service. AM/FM radio broadcasters are increasingly using their massive audiences to create awareness and interest in podcasts.
- Edison Research’s “Share of Ear” reports reveal podcast audience shares have tripled in the past four years, Spotify and Pandora are stagnant, and AM/FM radio continues to dominate.
- American broadcasters are leveraging their massive reach to create interest and awareness in podcasts.
- Podcast promos on AM/FM radio have increased 3.5X over the prior year: In the first half of 2020, a stunning 1.8 million podcast promos were aired on American AM/FM radio stations, representing a 3.5X increase over the same period in the prior year.
- Year to date podcast promotion on U.S. AM/FM radio equates to $61 million: Extrapolating Media Monitor’s coverage of 65% of the U.S. population to the total U.S. generates an estimate of about $61 million worth of inventory devoted to podcast promotion in the first half of 2020.
- From January to June 2020, Media Monitors captured 601 different podcasts being promoted on U.S. AM/FM radio.
- In June 2020, 71% of Americans were exposed to podcast promos an average of 16.9 times, generating two billion advertising impressions.