CBS' 60 Minutes gave a rare apology last night (November 10th) for its report two weeks ago on the attack on the
U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi last year.
Journalist Lara Logan, who led the original story, said that Dylan Davies, one of their main sources, had misled them when he gave an heroic account of rushing to the compound on the night of the attack and that he shouldn't have been included in the report.
Some media critics have called for CBS to begin an independent investigation into what went wrong, similar to what they did after a discredited report in 2004 on President George W. Bush's National Guard service.
CBS also apologized on Friday and pulled the report from its website.
Questions had immediately been raised about Davies' story, but CBS only issued their retraction after confirming a New York Times report that the British military contractor gave a different account to the FBI in which he said he never reached the compound.