Friday, September 7, 2018

R.I.P.: So Long Good Ole Boy Burt Reynolds


Burt Reynolds has died at the age of 82. The actor suffered a heart attack Thursday in Florida. He was transported to a hospital after going into cardiac arrest. His family was by his side when he passed.

The 911 call, made just after noon, revealed a male caller telling emergency operators that Reynolds was experiencing trouble breathing and had chest pain. He was awake, but not answering questions. Reynolds had heart problems for years and underwent major heart surgery in 2010.

In the early part of his career, after starring in TV shows such as Gunsmoke and Dan August, Reynolds rose to fame in the ‘70s for his breakout role as Lewis Medlock in Deliverance. The actor, who had nearly 200 film and TV credits, also starred in multiple successful films including 1974’s The Longest Yard, 1977’s Smokey and the Bandit, 1996’s Striptease and 1997’s Boogie Nights. The latter of which earned him an Oscar nomination.

Most recently, he was cast alongside Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio in Quentin Tarantino's story of Charles Manson, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but according to a TMZ source, he had not shot his scenes yet. Reynolds’ movie, Defining Moments is set to be released in December of this year.

The Hollywood Icon was once married to Judy Carne from 1963 to 1965 and Loni Anderson from 1988 to 1993, they have an adult son Quinton Anderson Reynolds. He also famously dated Sally Field on and off for five years in the ‘70s and ’80s. And in a 2015 interview with Vanity Fair, he called her "The one who got away."


Celebrities React To Burt Reynolds Death
  • Sally Field: "There are times in your life that are so indelible, they never fade away. They stay alive, even forty years later. My years with Burt never leave my mind. He will be in my history and my heart, for as long as I live. Rest, Buddy."
  • Mark Wahlberg: "Rest in peace to a legend and a friend."
  • Dolly Parton: "Oh how sad I am today along with Burt‘s millions of fans around the world as we mourn one of our favorite leading men. You will always be my favorite sheriff, rest in peace my little buddy and I will always love you, Dolly.
  • Russell Cowe: "R.I.P Burt Reynolds. He was a friend of mine. R.I.P Judge, R.I.P Old Bear, R.I.P Innocence, R.I.P Youth. Remembering every member of the Mystery, Alaska cast and crew, what a lovely community that was, I hope you are all happy and busy."
  • James Woods: "I finally got to work with one of my heroes in 2006. #BurtReynolds led a really fun cast in Spokane and we laughed all day, every day he was on the set. A wry humor and a warm heart defined this wonderful man. He will be sorely missed. #RIPBurtReynolds"
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Burt Reynolds was one of my heroes. He was a trailblazer. He showed the way to transition from being an athlete to being the highest paid actor, and he always inspired me. He also had a great sense of humor - check out his Tonight Show clips. My thoughts are with his family."
  • Dale Earnhardt Jr:  “Stroker Ace was born to race" Much respect to you Burt Reynolds. RIP"
  • Marilu Henner: "Noooo! Not Burt Reynolds! He was the most generous, talented, special man, co-star & friend EVER! I loved him so much & was lucky to work w/him 5 times. So many great memories!"
  • Reba McEntire: "My good friend has started a new journey. Rest in my peace my friend. I’ll never forget the wonderful times we spent together."
Reynold's Family Statement:

“It is with a broken heart that I said goodbye to my uncle today,” his niece Nancy Lee Hess tells Us in a statement. “My uncle was not just a movie icon; he was a generous, passionate and sensitive man, who was dedicated to his family, friends, fans and acting students.”

The statement continues, “He has had health issues, however, this was totally unexpected. He was tough. Anyone who breaks their tail bone on a river and finishes the movie is tough. And that’s who he was. My uncle was looking forward to working with Quentin Tarantino [on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood] and the amazing cast that was assembled.”

“So many people have already contacted me, to tell me how they benefitted professionally and personally from my uncle’s kindness,” Hess says. “I want to thank all of his amazing fans who have always supported and cheered him on, through all of the hills and valleys of his life and career. My family and I appreciate the outpouring of love for my uncle, and I ask that everyone please respect our family’s privacy at this very difficult time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment