Thursday, March 28, 2019

NYC Radio: 'Mad Dog' Rules Out Francesa Reunion

WEPN ESPN 98.7FM New York’s The Michael Kay Show interviewed special guest Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, former co-host of the Mike and the Mad Dog sports radio show, Wednesday.

In his 30-minute interview, Kay asked Russo if he would reunite with his former partner at the terrestrial broadcast WFAN. Russo mentioned he, “probably say not.”

Chris “Mad Dog” Russo ruled out a reunion with Mike Francesa – and a return to terrestrial radio in general.

According to Newsday, Francesa wrote on Twitter on Saturday that he is open to adding another person to his afternoon drive time show, which he has hosted solo since Russo left in 2008, and also has said he might leave radio altogether to focus on his app.

When Kay began Russo’s 20-minute segment by asking about whether a return to WFAN is possible, he said, “I think Mike could get a partner. I wouldn’t rule that out, based on what I’ve read. But I do not think you will see me in that direction.

“I thought there was a chance maybe a couple of years ago when that [ESPN] ’30-for-30’ [on ‘Mike and the Mad Dog’] came out . . . I thought there was a chance there a couple of years ago that that could occur. That did not, so I would say probably safely that ship has sailed.”

Kay then asked whether Russo would be interested if asked, and he said, “They won’t ask, No. 1, so it’s a hypothetical, but probably at this point in my life I would not.”

Russo also touched on various topics related to the his media career, radio future and the future of the New York Giants. Russo ended the interview by stating that he would join Michael Kay, Don La Greca, and Peter Rosenberg and added to have Tim McCarthy, vice president & general manager, 98.7 ESPN, to call him.

No comments:

Post a Comment