In his latest blog post, Pierre Bouvard, Chief Insights Officer of Cumulus/Westwood One, writes this year's TV Upfront had five key themes and what it means for radio.
Here’s what radio can learn from this year’s upfront:
- Reach is still the new black. The bigger the reach, the greater your target. As America’s number one mass reach medium, AM/FM radio can reach more of the advertiser’s right audience.
- While TV wants to reduce ad loads, radio commercial time is significantly lower. TV runs 36% more commercial minutes than radio. AM/FM radio holds 93% of its lead-in audience through its commercials.
- AM/FM radio should be part of the 71% to 78% optimal allocation to traditional media. The Advertising Research Foundation’s new “How Advertising Works” study advises that most of the media plan be allocated to traditional media, even for campaigns targeting 18-34 Millennials.
- Both TV and radio have a halo effect on digital impact. Recent Nielsen studies for multiple advertisers reveal that those exposed to the radio campaign have a higher recall of all other elements of the media plan.
- TV and radio run their ads, and real people hear the ads. No fraud and bots here. Broadcast ads actually air. Real consumers are exposed.