Friday, May 7, 2021

Chicago Radio: WUSN Partners Melissa & Austin For Mornings

Austin and Melissa

Audacy announced a new morning show for WUSN US99 in Chicago, welcoming local media veteran Melissa McGurren and Austin Huff as morning show co-hosts. The duo will be heard on “Melissa and Austin,” weekdays from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. CT, effective May 10.

The move comes months after McGurren mysteriously left her morning show job at WTMX 101.9 FM. She will now compete against Eric Ferguson’s morning show, where she worked for many years until officially leaving in December. She disputed Hubbard Radio’s statement that she declined a contract extension, but didn’t publicly reveal the reason for her departure.

“We’re incredibly excited to be growing our US99 family and making mornings home for Melissa and Austin,” said Rachel Williamson, Regional President and Market Manager, Audacy Chicago. “This team will bring energy, positivity, chemistry, and a lot of fun to this fresh and dynamic local show to serve Chicago’s country listeners. Drew [Walker] returns to late mornings and middays and will continue to bring the energy and companionship country listeners have grown to love to get them through their day. Collectively, this roster will super serve Chicago’s country music audience as the standalone country station in the market.”

“I wish I could fully express my gratitude and happiness about joining the US99 team,” said McGurren. “I love Chicago and country music and I’ve never been more confident in an opportunity or my team. I know this is exactly where I’m supposed to be, and I couldn’t be happier to make this new move in my career.”

Melissa McGurren spent most of her career on WTMX’s “The Mix Morning Show” in Chicago as a traffic reporter sidekick turned co-host. She also previously spent time as a weekend traffic news anchor for NBC 5 in Chicago and parttime from the NBC 5 helicopter for breaking news and traffic.

“I can’t believe Justin Fields and I are moving to Chicago at the same time, especially considering he throws a much tighter spiral than me,” said Huff. “I’m honored to wake up with this city every morning, and I cannot wait to have a ton of fun in the process.”

Austin Huff is a Nashville native, and country music fan with over 10 years of radio experience both on air and in production.

New weekday programming is as follows:
6:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m:    Melissa and Austin
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m:  Drew Walker
12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m:  Katie & Company
3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m:    Scotty Kay
7:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m:  Rob & Holly

Listeners can tune in to US99 (WUSN-FM) in Chicago on air, as well as nationwide on the Audacy app and website. Fans can also connect with the station on social media via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment