SportsTalk 790 KBME is shifting its weekday lineup Monday, moving The Matt Thomas Show with Ross Villarreal to mornings (6-10 a.m.) and The Dan Mathews Show to middays (10 a.m.-2 p.m.).
The A-Team with Adam Clanton and Adam Wexler remains in the 2-6 p.m. slot and continues to air on Space City Home Network.
Thomas, the radio voice of the Houston Rockets and former public address announcer during the team’s two NBA championship seasons, previously worked at 700 KSEV, 950 KPRC and 740 KTRH before leaving Houston in 2004. He later called University of Utah football and basketball in Salt Lake City and worked at KSTP in Minneapolis-St. Paul before returning to SportsTalk 790 in 2009.
Mathews welcomed the change in a video posted to X, saying he is “pumped” to stop waking up at 4:30 a.m. “I’ve loved doing the mornings,” he said. “It’s been amazing. It’s been awesome.” He added that he regularly listens to Thomas and Villarreal after work and enjoys their on-air banter: “I love everyone I work with, but I’m not kidding when I say that every single day on my way home and even while I’m doing stuff around the house, I’ve got on those guys.”
Mathews has covered Houston sports since 2009. He previously worked in Atlanta at 92.9 The Game and 680 The Fan as a host, reporter and play-by-play broadcaster before returning to Houston in 2023.
At SportsTalk 790 he has produced The A-Team, hosted The Night Cap and contributed to Astros and Rockets pregame and postgame coverage.
The changes come two months after Cole Thompson left The Morning Drive with Dan & Cole, which launched in 2025. Thompson was among those affected by iHeartMedia layoffs; Mathews continued in the morning slot after Thompson’s departure.
