Friday, March 31, 2017

Detroit Radio: Lay-offs Hit Bell Media

Windsor-based alternative rock station 89X CIMX 88.7 FM has closed its American office and is cutting several members of its on-air staff, reports The Detroit News.

The cuts were part of a larger restructuring at Bell Media, which runs 89X, CIDR 93.9 FM,  CKWW 580 AM, and CKLW 800 AM. The four stations will retain their current formats, according to Bell Media news director Matthew Garrow.

“Cal and Co.,” 89X’s morning show, aired its last broadcast on Thursday morning. Host Cal Cagno tweeted Thursday afternoon, “I no longer work at 89X. After 18 years..it’s over. I hope to be back on the air soon but if not...thanks to the listeners for a great run.”

“It was really fun working there,” Cagno said Thursday. “I had a great run and it was an amazing job to have. My whole adult life I’ve worked there. I’m going to miss the people I’ve worked with, and I’m going to miss the listeners the most. But overall it was a great experience.”

Gillian Reilly, Cagno’s co-host, was also let go from the station, along with afternoon drive host Reed Petitpren and Phil “PK” Kukawinski. Promotions and sales forces were cut as well, resulting in around a dozen layoffs.

“The restructuring is a response to the challenges we and other Canadian media companies are facing on multiple fronts: changing broadcast technologies and growing international competition, a tough advertising market, and ongoing regulatory pressure,” Garrow said in an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment