Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Anna Gomez Seeks Reconfirmation As FCC Commissioner


Anna Gomez, the FCC’s lone Democrat, says she wants to stay in the job and keep pushing back against what she calls the agency’s overreaches and targeting of Trump administration critics.Gomez’s term ended in June. 

She is now serving in a carryover period that can last until the end of 2027 unless the Senate confirms a replacement sooner. 

“I’d love to be reconfirmed, and I have supporters in the Senate, which I’m very grateful for,” she told The Hollywood Reporter. “I think it’s important that we maintain somebody that pushes back against this administration’s overreaches.”



Anna Gomez
As the only Democratic commissioner, Gomez has publicly criticized major FCC decisions she views as First Amendment violations. She has also urged Disney to fight the agency. She says she does not enjoy speaking against her own commission but considers it necessary.

The FCC is designed as a bipartisan five-member body, with no more than three commissioners from the same party; it can operate with a three-member quorum. After President Trump named Republican Brendan Carr chairman and Republican Olivia Trusty as a commissioner in 2025, Gomez remained from her 2023 Biden appointment. 

Trump has nominated Carr’s senior counsel, Republican Danielle Thumann, for a five-year term, but she has not been confirmed. It is unclear whether Trump will seek a fifth commissioner, appoint a Democrat, or support Gomez’s renomination. Gomez, a former telecommunications lawyer with prior FCC and other government experience, says she would like the commission to return to a full five-member slate.