Thursday, February 24, 2022

Report: NFL Great Troy Aikman Courted By ABC MNF


Hall of Famer Troy Aikman is expected to leave Fox Sports to become the main analyst for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” The NY Post has learned. ESPN declined comment.

Aikman’s ESPN deal will be for five years, according to sources, and his yearly salary is expected to approach or exceed the neighborhood of Tony Romo’s $17.5 million per year contract with CBS. The deal is not yet signed, but it is near completion.

The Dallas Morning News reports Aikman  during an appearance on CBS Sports “The Jim Rome Show” earlier this month, Aikman acknowledged that his future with the network was uncertain.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time with Fox and I’m hopeful that that continues,” Aikman told Rome. “I’ve loved working with Joe [Buck]. I like the people I work with and I like the people I work for. And I’ve really enjoyed it. We’re at a bit of an impasse, and how that shakes out? I just... I honestly don’t know, Jim. I’ve been asked a lot. And I really don’t know.

“I think it’s going to come to a resolution here within the next week or two, and I’m looking forward to see exactly what that looks like,” Aikman continued. “But, in no way am I a ‘disgruntled employee’ with Fox. I’ve enjoyed my time. It’s just business right now.”

According to The Post, Aikman’s move would shake-up NFL TV free agency. Already this offseason, the contract of Al Michaels, arguably the greatest NFL play-by-player of all time, ran out with NBC.

Michaels, 77, has been on the 1-yard line in his negotiations to be the lead play-by-play voice when Amazon Prime Video begins its exclusive coverage of “Thursday Night Football.” Michaels had hoped Aikman would join him on Thursday nights.

Though Rams head coach Sean McVay has said he will continue on the sidelines this year, Amazon could make a serious run at him, according to sources. Tom Brady can’t be fully counted out as a candidate, but it should be stressed he has shown no indication he wants to work in a booth.

With Joe Buck’s contact up next year, sources said ESPN could try to pry Buck from Fox. Buck also calls the World Series for the network. Fox would have to grant Buck permission if he wanted to leave early.

No comments:

Post a Comment