Wednesday, April 9, 2014

RI Radio: Reporter Sues RIPR Over Equal Pay

Flo Jonic
Former Rhode Island Public Radio reporter Flo Jonic has struck out against her recent employer, after filing a sex discrimination complaint over pay equity, according to golocalprov.com.

In her charge filed in February, Jonic wrote, "I believe that I have been discriminated against based on my sex by my employer," and refered to the difference in her pay and that of RIPR reporter Ian Donnis.

"Currently, [reporter] Ian Donnis earns at least $75,000 a year, while I make $51,000 per year. We perform the same duties, and I have 32 more years experience than he does," wrote Jonic in her complaint.

See Discrimination Charge Filed: Click Here

The equal pay complaint lodged against RIPR by Jonic was with the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, for which the Rhode Island Commission on Human Rights is the state agency.

Jonic said she filed the compaint following an article Donnis wrote in February 4 on Mayor Taveras' workplace pay equity proposal.

"When I saw the article by Donnis on pay equity, I lost it," said Jonic. "I like Ian, he's done nothing wrong. The station says they're paying him the $75,000 due to a grant from the Hamblett foundation.  I make two-thirds that.  I don't think that's a valid excuse."

Jonic, who was recently on medical leave from the station with health issues, also filed a discrimination complaint form under the ADA with the U.S. Department of Justice, after being let go from her position last week.

RIPR General Manager Joe O'Connor, when asked about Jonic's recent dismissal said they were "false claims."

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment