Thursday, April 10, 2014

Documentary Profiles Out-Of--Work Radio Host Scott Alan

Scott Alan
53-year-old Scott Alan has been called natural entertainer. Fourteen years ago, he won a radio contest pretending to be a baseball announcer. The head of former Chicago station WJJG 1530 AM (now WCKG) saw him on TV, and turned Scott Vanderstuyf, a painting business owner in Bartlett, Ill., into Scott Alan, a local radio star.

His morning show attracted between 50,000 to 100,000 listeners a day, he said, putting him in the same league as much bigger stations. With a little hustle on the side, Alan was solidly middle class. He took his wife, a part-time dietician, and two kids on a vacation every year, to places like Florida and the Bahamas. He saved up enough to pay for his oldest daughter’s first year of college.


“The salary I made on the radio wasn’t top-notch, but it was decent,” Alan said. “But the perks I got were incredible. I ate at restaurants that right now, if I walked in, I would have to be the dishwasher.”

The work was also fulfilling. He interviewed Robert Redford, the late Paul Newman and then-state Sen. Barack Obama. And Alan’s shtick was blue collar: anti-corporate, pro-little guy. He gave weekly spots to local struggling musicians. He helped an ex-con listener get a job. His audience peaked during the worst of the recession.

Then, in October 2011, a new manager came in, more of a “bean counter,” Alan said.  After 12 years on air, they replaced him with a nationally syndicated host’s show. He said it was clearly a money-saving move.

“It devastated me,” Alan said. “…And that’s where my depression came in. You know, I’ve been battling depression since then.”


Alan's situation is the subject of a Al Jazeera America documentary 'The Other America'.

6 comments:

  1. i use to listen to wjjg 1530 am. i really enjoyed the sanatra station. mr joe gentile.i listened to scott alan for many years and enjoyed his style.he helped my son get a job in construction.he is a very kind person.i read things on twitter that i will not comment on.i will say i wish scott was back on the air in chicago.i wish scott all the best, i know he has done some local commercials.best wishes scott warmest wishes lauren balas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI SCOTT, YOUR FORMER GAFFER SLASH PRODUCER.YOU WERE GREAT TO WORK FOR,I ENJOYED THE TV SHOW, I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR RADIO SHOW.BUT LISTENED WHEN I COULD.I SAW THE COMMENTS BY THAT RADIO JERK, CONSIDER THE SOURCE.WHERE IS MANCOW NOW?I SAW YOU ON THE TUBE DOING A FEW COMMERCIALS.YOU ALWAYS POPPED FOR PIZZA AND BEER AFTER THE SHOWS.CLASS GUY SCOTT, LETS GET TOGETHER FOR BEER MATT SMITH

      Delete
  2. HI SCOTT,IT IS YOUR OLD GAFFER SLASH PRODUCER FROM YOUR OLD TV SHOW.I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE JOB, AND ALWAYS PICKING UP PIZZA AND BEER.I AM OUT OF THE BUSINESS NOW, BUT THANKS FOR THE GOOD COMMENTS FROM YOU.I ALSO SAW THE COMMENTS FROM THE JERK AT THE STATION NO ONE LISTENS TO.WHERE IS MANCOW NOW MR GENERAL MANAGER.TELL THE FAMILY I SAID HI, MATT SMITH PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO SCOTT,IT IS ONE OF YOUR LOYAL FANS, ROOSEVELT,I SAW THE DOCUMENTARY.I ALWAYS WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THE FUN SHOWS YOU PROVIDED US WITH.I USE TO ENJOY ALL THE DIFFERENT SEGMENTS YOU HAD.I WISH THE NEW STATION 87.7 COULD USE YOU ON THE WEEKENDS.I EVAN LISTENED TO THE FEW PODCASTS YOU DID.I SAW YOU IN SOME COMMERCIALS OVER THE WINTER.JUST FORGET THE MORON GENERAL MANAGER DOWN THE DIAL.WE NEED TO GET YOU BACK ON THE AIR WAVES SCOTT. I WILL TRY TO CALL YOUR OFFICE I STILL HAVE THE NUMBER, ROOSEVELT GONZALEZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, you didn't earn a salary at WJJG, you paid for your air time. As for 100,000 listeners..., really? WJJG was an 830-watt FCC low-power station. 100,000 people didn't with in range of WJJG. Had anyone researched any of your claims you've have been humiliated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. scott, i just stumbled on this site,i was a sponsor for eight years.you were always kind to me first class.my car wash got at least 2 to 3 new customers every week.i have sold the wash and am now working for costco,why the coward does not give his name.. i saw you doing a few commercials you looked great.the ass hole running that station can not keep the same line up.if joe was still alive you would still be on.i will try to book you for santa, thanks paul g from wheaton

    ReplyDelete