Friday, May 21, 2021

Chris Cuomo Apologizes To CNN

CNN host Chris Cuomo apologized on air Thursday night for advising his older brother Gov. Andrew Cuomo on handling his sexual harassment scandal, reports The NY Post.

Cuomo, who infamously interviewed the governor about New York’s COVID-19 response throughout the pandemic, emphasized on his primetime program that he never covered his brother’s scandals in Albany.

“Now today there are stories out there about me offering my brother advice,” Cuomo told viewers at the start of his show, “Cuomo Prime Time.”

”Of course I do. This is no revelation. I have said it publicly and I certainly have never hidden it. I can be objective on just about any topic but not about my family.”

“Like you, I bet, my family means everything to me and I’m fiercely loyal to them,” he said.

Cuomo had been in discussions with his brother’s staff, lawyers and others during strategy sessions and advised the governor not to end up another victim of “cancel culture,” The Washington Post reported.

“I’m family first, job second,” Cuomo said on his show during an opening statement that lasted about three minutes.

Cuomo said how he helped his brother mattered.

“When my brother’s situation became turbulent, being looped into calls with other friends of his, and advisers that did include some of his staff, I understand why that was a problem for CNN,” Cuomo said.

“It will not happen again,” he added.

CNN said in response to the story that what the Cuomo Prime Time host had done was "inappropriate," but no discipline is being imposed.

According to The Post, journalists across the nation slammed CNN anchor Chris Cuomo for advising his brother Gov. Andrew Cuomo and even the network’s own reporters are and “bothered” by the conduct. 

“The revelation that Cuomo had advised his brother during strategy sessions has vexed staffers inside CNN,” the network’s senior media reporter, Oliver Darcy, tweeted Thursday afternoon shortly after the news came to light.  

“Multiple CNN staffers told me they were bothered by Cuomo’s conduct and the violation of traditional journalistic standards,” 

No comments:

Post a Comment