Saturday, August 15, 2026

NYC Radio: Boomer Believes CBS Sports Will Move On

Jim Nantz, Tony Romo

Boomer Esiason believes Tony Romo’s future at CBS Sports is over following the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback’s high-profile OWI arrest, which has sidelined him ahead of the 2026 NFL season.

“If I had to guess, purely speculation given what’s going on right now, I would think it’s over,” Esiason said this week on WFAN’s “Boomer & Gio.” “He may end up going somewhere else and getting things straightened out.”

The longtime CBS commentator, who left the network in 2023 after two decades, made the remarks as speculation intensifies across the sports media landscape that CBS could move on from Romo. J.J. Watt is currently filling in on the network’s lead NFL broadcast team alongside Jim Nantz, and his rapid rise as a fan favorite has positioned him as a potential permanent replacement if he continues to gel with Nantz.

Romo signed a 10-year, $180 million contract with CBS in 2020. With several years remaining, $72 million is still owed before the season begins in September, leaving the network in a position where it could potentially exit the deal.

Nantz, who has built strong on-air chemistry with Romo, described their long-standing personal relationship. “Tony is a great friend of mine and has been for years. He and I go back to 2011 when he got married, I was invited to his wedding,” Nantz said. “So, this was not someone in 2017 when he entered the booth I was just getting to know for the first time. So he’s a great friend, continues to be, always will be.”