Thursday, August 3, 2023

D-C Radio: Fired Don Geronimo Issues Apology For 'Barbie Girl' Remark


DC-area radio host Don Geronimo, who was fired over the weekend after making disparaging comments toward a WUSA9 sports reporter live on the air, has issued an apology, reports WTOP Radio.

“Last week, during my live radio show from the Commanders training camp, I used inappropriate words in a way that hurt someone,” Geronimo said in a written statement provided to WTOP. “I deeply and sincerely apologize for the pain I caused WUSA sports reporter Sharla McBride.”

The comments were made during Geronimo’s broadcast from the Commanders’ training camp in Ashburn, Virginia, on iHeartMedia's Classic Rock WBIG 100.3 FM.

“Hey look, Barbie’s here. Hi, Barbie girl,” Geronimo said, referring to McBride as she walked past. “I’m guessing she’s a cheerleader.” In the statement, Geronimo said he did not know or recognize the sports reporter, and was attempting to reference the recent release of the “Barbie” movie.

“My attempts to be humorous and topical backfired, and I needlessly deprecated a professional colleague,” Geronimo said.

The statement went on to say: “I have reached out to Ms. McBride to apologize. When she feels ready, I hope that we can have a conversation and that I will have the opportunity to reiterate my apology to her in person. I hope that Ms. McBride and the listeners who heard me will forgive me. I am better than this, and I promise to demonstrate that going forward.”



In a statement to ESPN over the weekend, McBride said, “When I heard the comments made about me on the radio show, I felt incredibly insulted and embarrassed. In my 17 years as a professional journalist, I have never been disrespected in such a blatant manner while trying to do my job. Their words were sexist and misogynistic. No woman should experience this in the workplace, and I appreciate the Commanders swift response in handling this matter.”

WUSA’s news desk said the station had no additional comment beyond what station officials have already said.

Geronimo and Young were taken off the air on Friday morning, following a decision by the Commanders to bar both radio personalities from broadcasting from the team’s training camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment