Saturday, August 24, 2024

Milwaukee Radio: WISN Talker Off-Air After Mocking Comment

Gus Walz at DNC

WISN Milwaukee radio host Jay Weber apologized Friday for mocking Gus Walz, the 17-year-old son of Democratic vice-presidential nominee Tim Walz, for his emotional reaction to his father's speech at this week's Democratic National Convention.

Gus Walz, who has ADHD, an anxiety disorder and a non-verbal learning disorder, sprung from his seat at one point during the speech and could be seen tearfully saying: "I love you, dad! That's my dad!"

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Weber wrote in a post on X, "Sorry, but this is embarrassing for both father and son. If the Walzs represent today's American man, this country is screwed: 'Meet my son, Gus. He's a blubbering bitch boy. His mother and I are very proud.'"

Weber, a radio host for 1130 WISN-AM, has faced heavy criticism for his comments, with some calling for him to be fired, and others urging a station boycott. He has since deleted his post, initially saying "I didn't realize the kid was disabled."

On Friday, there was a fill-in host on "The Jay Weber Show." That host, Benjamin Yount, said Weber's absence was "scheduled ahead of time."

"Jay will be back on Monday," he said.

Weber apologized on X Friday, acknowledging he had said "something stupid and hurtful."

"I said it without thinking or having the facts," Weber wrote. "No excuses Having been a teacher, I’ve had a standard of never involving children, I broke that and I'm disappointed with myself."

He added, "I apologize to the Walz family and anyone who was offended. I feel horrible, I am so sorry."

No comments:

Post a Comment