Saturday, May 9, 2020

Rochester NY Radio: After 35-Years, Bob Matthews EXITS WHAM

Bob Matthews
Bob Matthews is signing off for the final time on WHAM 1180 AM, ending a 35-year run over the airwaves in greater Rochester. 

Matthews, 73, led off his eponymous show on Friday by announcing that he's stepping away.

"I might as well get it over with," Matthews said off the top. "I figure I've done approximately 8,200 shows over 35 years here on WHAM. "It’s been a pleasure. Didn’t get fired. Didn’t get furloughed. I’ve got to admit the coronavirus got the best of me.

"It’s been very difficult the last two months. It’s been tough talking sports for two hours when there's no sports. I’ll be OK."

Matthews spent a few minutes reminiscing about Rochester's sports heyday, detailing when the area won an award for best minor league sports city in America in the 1980s. He said he loved covering Rochester when it had 11 pro sports teams.

Matthews said WHAM will not be getting another local sports show. His 6-8 p.m. time slot will be replaced by The Savage Nation, a syndicated conservative radio show. Matthews also shared that a regional manager for iHeartMedia asked him to stay.

“I’m a rather recent diabetic, I’m the guy most susceptible to the coronavirus," Matthews said. "I’ve been working at the station. I certainly don’t want to make anybody else sick, and I think they are afraid that they will make me sick.

"The difference is, if I get sick I’ve probably had it, I’m going down for the count. That was a consideration, not a major consideration, but I just don’t want anybody to think that I was fired. I don’t think after 35 years they would fire me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment