Saturday, January 27, 2018

Atlanta Radio: Morning Host Ryan Cameron EXITING V-103

Ryan Cameron
Longtime Atlanta radio personality Ryan Cameron surprised his listeners Friday morning with an unexpected announcement that he would be leaving his show on WVEE V-103 to join Atlanta branding firm Rakanter.

"My tenure here at V-103 has been the most fulfilling thing that I could ever have but I have to feel there's something else that I can do," said the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame inductee. "I have done everything I can do in this field. I am telling Atlanta today that I am going to be moving on to something else."

Cameron started his journey in radio in 1991 as an intern at V-103. He moved to overnights then weekends and took a hiatus from Atlanta to do radio in Washington, D.C.

He was morning host at Hot 97.5 (now 107.9) from 1995 until 2003. He then returned to V-103 in 2004 to do afternoons until 2012 when former morning show host Frank Ski left.

Cameron, 52, said he will periodically do radio ad endorsements and he plans to continue his work with the Atlanta Hawks as an announcer at Phillips Arena.

"If I have inspired even a small percentage of people to better yourself than you were before from all my years of being on the radio then I've done my job," said Cameron.

Cameron's last day will be Friday, February 2. His replacement has not yet been announced, according to CBS46.

Cameron had an opportunity to stay at V-103, his agent Norm Schrutt told Rodney Ho at ajc.com.

In fact, during the negotiations, V-103 came back with two different offers. To Schrutt, the second offer was “reasonable.”

But Cameron saw the opportunities and potential for upside being a partner at the new branding strategy firm Rakanter and decided to jump ship from the only career he’s ever known. He’ll be able to share in equity and profits in a way he could never do as an employee at Entercom, which owns V-103.

“To be honest,” Schrutt said, “I was surprised. But when he explained it to me, I understood. He is more than a talent. I want the right things for my friend. That’s the over-riding thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment