Thursday, July 25, 2013

Savannah Radio: Lil G Leaves For Corporate Job

Lil G
Lil G is going home. One of Savannah’s favorite radio broadcasters is leaving Hip Hop WEAS E93 FM and Urban contemporary WTYB 103.9 FM Magic for a move to Atlanta to accept a promotion, according to savannahnow.com.

“I’ll be working for the Cumulus Broadcasting corporate headquarters in Atlanta,” says Lil G, whose real name is Gerald Arrington Jr. “I came to Savannah from Atlanta specifically to go to Savannah State.”

After Lil G got involved with the Savannah State University radio station, local gospel singer and broadcaster Lester Leck White introduced him to Cumulus Broadcasting.

“He allowed me to come in and do an internship on his show,” Lil G says.

“That’s how I got started here in Savannah. Who would know 10 to 15 years later, I would be his boss?

“I graduated in 2001 with a degree in mass communications,” he says. “I was working for Cumulus while I was in school, and after I graduated, they sent me to Houston.”

A year later, the station’s format was switched from rhythm and blues and hip hop to oldies.

“From Houston, they allowed me to come to Savannah with a pay raise,” he says. That was 15 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment