Saturday, April 30, 2022

St. Louis Radio: KYKY's Jen Myers Steps Away For Cancer Battle

 

Jen Myers
After 20 years of riding the STL radio waves, Jen Myers of KYKY 98.1 FM is taking a break, to get better, reports STLToday.com

Diagnosed with breast cancer about six years ago, Myers' last day working a mic at the station was Friday, when she will appeare on the morning show from 7 to 11 a.m.

In a Facebook post, Myers explained her situation in gloves-off terms:

"My breast cancer metastasized to my lungs in 2018, advancing to Stage 4. I recently started a new chemo regimen that is not pretty," she said in her post. "I hope this treatment will help, but it is also not a cure for this disease. We are betting a lot right now on hope."

Myers has the rare distinction, especially in the world of radio, of having spent all 20 years of her STL career at one station — surviving layoffs, shift changes, an ownership swap and even working as the station's music director and program director.

In 2017, fashion publication Gazelle STL named Myers as one of its "Top 50 Women in St. Louis." The list lauded local women for their contributions in business, communications, politics and philanthropy.

In her recent post, Myers said it was after much deliberation that she "made the decision to step away from my job in order to focus 100% of my energy on my health and my family."

"I hope we can all raise a toast in the future to this cancer being in remission," Myers said. "Until then, this very public cancer story is going to be very much private.

“I recently started a new chemo regimen that is not pretty,” she continued. “I hope this treatment will help, but it is also not a cure for this disease. We are betting a lot right now on hope.”

Jen, 47, has been with Y98 since she was “just a baby,” she said.

Now, 20 years later, “I marvel that I have been able to work at one radio station for so long. My job going forward needs to be my health, and spending as much time with these 3 people as I can,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment