Monday, February 14, 2022

Atlanta Radio: Jason Bailey Alleges 'Defamation of Character'


Jason Bailey, on his subscription-based podcast Friday, called a storyline provided by the Rock 100.5 program director on why Bailey was fired in October “defamation of character,” reports Rodney Ho, who covers media at ajc.com.

Axel Lowe, the program director, took over the station in 2019, repositioning the music, and last fall got rid of Bailey and female sidekick Brandi Britain for different reasons. (Producer “DIgi-Dude” Nate Hanson around the same time left for Mexico and was not given the option to work remotely. Another producer NickyD Wooten was let go earlier this month.)

Lowe, a veteran radio DJ in town for three decades who was also doing afternoon drive, took over mornings for a brief time with “Southside” Steve Rickman after Bailey’s departure. But last week, Lowe announced in a staff memo that he and Rickman were moving to afternoons for what would be a “personality-based” show. The show debuted this week.

While on the air earlier this week, Lowe explained the changes by noting that people on air (without specifying names) in October “didn’t want to be there.”

Jason Bailey
Bailey, who was WNNX Rock 100.5′s morning show lead guy for seven years and guided the on-air content, took umbrage to that spin.

“I didn’t want to be there because of your [expletive] and a lot of other people’s [expletive] and lies,” Bailey said. “I didn’t want to be there because you were already looking for a replacement. Your EVP was in Chicago actively looking to replace me publicly.”

He added, “I wanted to be there. I wanted to make it work... I liked the company until you turned heel on me.” 

Last October, Bailey said when the show did hit big ratings a few years ago, Rock 100.5 didn’t take full advantage of their popularity. “There was no incentive,” he said. “There was no exploitation of the success of the show. It was just going nowhere. That bothered me. I worked too [expletive] hard. All the [expletive] bits were my idea. All the planning was mine. It was just worthless. It was pointless. It was all for nothing. I wasn’t appreciated.”

Addressing Lowe by his real first name, Bailey on his podcast Friday said, “Andy, do your thing. I wish you all the luck. I want you not in my life ever again. Don’t go on the air and lie. That’s what bothers me. That’s defamation of character.”

Since he left Rock 100.5, Bailey has been operating a podcast operation out of his house that features some free content but consists mostly of daily subscription-based shows including the one that ran Friday. He is charging $4.99 a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment