Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Twin Cities Radio: Cory Hepola EXITS WCCO-AM


Radio host and former KARE-11 anchor Cory Hepola is no longer employed by WCCO 830 AM, where he had hosted the 9 a.m. to noon slot for the past three years.

During a Feb. 8 interview with Minnesota Public Radio's Brian Bakst, Hepola said he was considering a run for governor, reports the Pioneer Press.

"I feel like we need community leaders to step up, not politicians to step up, and say, 'You know what? I serve people. Here are some bold, creative, innovative policy ideas that serve people,' " Hepola said. "It's a lot for me to think about. Is there space for choice and unity and hope? I certainly think so. But I don't know."

The Minnesota native said he would make a decision in four to six weeks and that he was considering a third-party bid. "This is a huge decision. My life will never be the same and I just want to make sure that we remain authentic to all of Minnesota," Hepola said.

Feb. 8 also turned out to be Hepola's final day on air at WCCO. He announced his departure via social media Monday night: "WCCO Radio changed my life. And, I knew from the start it would, because I knew from the start what a responsibility it is to hold that mic. ... I leave the iconic station with a grateful heart."


Hepola declined an interview request. A spokesman for Audacy, which owns WCCO Radio, confirmed Hepola was no longer at the station.

He returned to his home state in 2015 as a KARE anchor, where he won two Emmy Awards for outstanding TV anchor in 2016 and 2018.

The following year, he moved to WCCO, where he took over the spot held by longtime local radio personality John Hines, who retired after more than 45 years in the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment