Friday, August 2, 2019

Edmonton Radio: After 47-Year Career, Bruce Bowie To Retire

Bruce Bowie
CHED 630 AM Edmonton legend Bruce Bowie announced that, after 47 years behind the mic, he will be retiring at the end of August.
“After listening to CHED 630 for years, I thought it was beyond my reach. Somehow I wound up spending 21 years of my life here,” Bowie said. “I feel like I was embraced by the Edmonton listeners from the start and will be forever grateful. This city has been good to me.”

“There is something magical about talking with people and interacting with people and that’s what fascinated me with it at first. I just thought it sounded like these guys were having so much fun,” he said.

Bowie’s career started in 1972 at CKSA in Lloydminster, Alta., according to Global News.

“There is something magical about talking with people and interacting with people and that’s what fascinated me with it at first. I just thought it sounded like these guys were having so much fun,” he said.

“I have been so blessed, this has not really been a job,” Bowie said of his career. “I can’t say I’ve enjoyed every day, but almost every day coming to work.

“When I left home I planned to go and try radio for a couple of years because it always fascinated me and then I thought I’d go back ranching after I gave it a shot. So, 47 years later I’m going to call my brother and see if he’s got any openings. Hopefully by this point the hay bales weigh about five pounds each and I’m ready to go.”


Bowie isn’t sure what he’ll get up to after retirement, but said he will take some time to work with a number of charities that are close to his heart.

“After 47 years it won’t be all about me, maybe I can go help somebody else,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment