Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Toronto Radio: Jerry Howarth, MLB Blue Jays Radio Voice Retires


Longtime Toronto Blue Jays radio broadcaster Jerry Howarth announced his retirement on Tuesday morning, according to The National Post.

Howarth, who turns 72 next month, announced the end of his 36-year Blue Jays’ career on the day that many major league teams officially welcome pitchers and catchers to spring training.

“I had every intention of continuing my career into the 2018 season but my health and stamina and continuing voice issues dictated otherwise,” Howarth said in a statement released by Rogers Sportsnet.

“Who knew that I would spend more than half my life in Toronto with my wife, Mary, and our two sons, Ben and Joe, doing what I love to do most, reaching out to friends and fans alike across our great country to talk baseball? I am blessed and I am grateful. I thank everyone who has made this journey of mine so rewarding in every way.”

Howarth is a native of York, Pa., who grew up in San Francisco. He joined the Blue Jays in 1981 and later became a Canadian citizen.

“Jerry is an absolute legend in this industry,” Sportsnet president Scott Moore said. “He’s been a dedicated and consummate professional covering the Blue Jays for more than three decades. His longevity is exceptional and it speaks to not only his talent as a broadcaster, but also his incredible passion for baseball. He is beloved by Blue Jays fans across the country and has left an indelible impression on us all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment