Friday, January 3, 2014

Rush Limbaugh Gives Homage to Bob Grant


On Thursday's radio show, Rush Limbaugh gave homage to the iconic talk Bob Grant, who passed away New Year's Eve:
RUSH: I do want to say some words about Bob Grant.  Bob Grant was the first to popularize conservative talk radio, and he did it in New York City on WABC and on WOR.  Everybody in talk radio had heard of Bob Grant.  He was legendary. He was courageous, confrontational. He was all of those adjectives, and he was funny.  He was also a nice guy.  I'll tell you something about Bob Grant. There was a roast for him -- oh, I guess in 1990 or something -- and I was on my way back from a Rush to Excellence Tour.  I was invited to attend it.  
I was on my way back to New York, and I was in New Jersey, and I went to the roast.  It was people like Freddie Roman and Pat Cooper, a bunch of comedians that gathered, and it was just a hilarious evening.  There was no way that I was gonna be able to compete with these professional comedians, so what I did was I stood up and I basically said some nice things about Bob Grant because I really meant them.  He was extremely accommodating to me when I arrived in New York -- and, by all rights, he could have been just the opposite.  
But he was.  He was helpful. He was accommodating. He helped me. Folks, in my first two weeks on the air in New York, every phone call I took, all they wanted to talk about was what Bob Grant had said the day before.  He was that powerful in New York.  He was that provocative.  What I was saying my first two weeks, people didn't know who I was.  I was still getting my feet wet in New York.  I had no idea if what I was doing was going to succeed or not.  
Every phone call -- literally every phone call -- people wanted to talk to me about what Bob Grant had said the day before, and I ended up laughing with him about that.  But he was one of these people who has this on-air reputation for confrontation, but he was just a down-to-earth, humble guy who never got lost in his ego. He never got lost in all of this.  As far as I was concerned, his both feet were planted in reality his entire life, and he helped me immensely when I got there.
Read More Now

ALSO READ: NY Times Obit On Bob Grant, Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment