Tuesday, December 31, 2013

R.I.P.: Hawaii Broadcaster Kimo Akane Passes At 58

Kimo Akane
Ashton "Kimo Akane" Kaiuwailani, radio personality and programmer and broadcast mentor, died Monday.

He was 58, according to The Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

He was PD of Summit Media's KINE 105.1 FM Honolulu and had been hospitalized in a coma for two weeks, after suffering an apparent heart attack in mid-December.

SummitMedia SVP of Programming Bill Tanner remarked of Akane, "He had a wonderfully warm, friendly personality and was a great radio guy. He will be greatly missed by all who knew and worked with him."

He is being remembered for reining in radio stations' overly broad music playlists, for mentoring on-air personalities, for his easy laugh, and for his deep, sonorous voice.

Industry colleagues will stage a private celebration of his life, meanwhile, a fundraiser is being planned to help offset medical expenses.

1 comment:

  1. Shocked to hear about Kimo. I worked for him from 1989 - 1993. He was my boss but was always a friend. His kind ways always came through in even in the worst situations. He always took time to teach and explain things. I can truly say he was the best boss I ever had.

    We've swapped e-mails several times over the past years. We laughed that it always seemed to be when one of our radio friends passed away. He was always willing to offer advice or help me anyway he could.

    My heart goes out to his wife and children. We were all truly blessed to have known him and I will miss him. Aloha my friend.

    Kevin "Bish" Bishop

    ReplyDelete