Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bloomberg Editor Quits Over Bloomberg Coverage

Kathy Kiely
A top editor at Michael Bloomberg's media empire has left the company, citing concerns over how it will cover the former New York City mayor's presidential aspirations.

Kathy Kiely, the Washington news director at Bloomberg Politics, said she resigned from her post after growing uncomfortable with the way her outlet responded to news that Bloomberg is considering an independent White House bid.

"I was not comfortable with how we were reacting to this story and I didn't see any indication that the situation was going to improve soon," Kiely told CNNMoney on Wednesday. "I think that every candidate should be covered the same way."

The New York Times reported last Saturday that Bloomberg, the billionaire mogul and former three-term mayor of NYC, has "taken concrete steps" toward a potential White House run. Bloomberg Politics aggregated the Times report that day with a brief post. Kiely submitted her letter of resignation on Sunday.

"I agonized about it because I really like the people I work with at Bloomberg," Kiely said. "We built a team and we built a website, and I admire my colleagues very much. But I've been a political journalist all my life and I felt I was not able to do the job I should be doing."

Kiely declined to say if there was a directive on how to handle Bloomberg's latest presidential trial balloon. When asked what specifically prompted the resignation, she said, "I just think the fact that we didn't jump on the story the way other organizations did. I was not comfortable with that."

No comments:

Post a Comment