Tuesday, April 5, 2022

D-C Radio: Talker Claims WMAL Fired Her After Woke Mob Complained

Amber Athey

A talk show host claims she was fired from Cumulus Radio's News/Talk WMAL 105.9 FM in Washington D.C. for making fun of the outfit worn by Vice President Kamala Harris during last month's State of the Union speech, reports The Daily Mail.

She also works for conservative magazine The Spectator, where she recounted the incident in full. 

Amber Athey wrote a joking tweet about the color of the suit Harris was wearing.

She said there was no sign of any offense being caused by the pithy comment until a few days later.

'I spoke critically of protests in favor of 'trans kids' at the University of North Texas. A group of maniacal left-wing activists who want to chemically castrate children in the name of 'gender affirmation' came after me. All of a sudden, the Kamala tweet was being re-framed as racist and dozens of Twitter accounts were bragging about contacting my employers about my "bigotry,"' Athey explained in a column for the publication.

The Daily Mail reports her bosses at both the radio station and magazine received emails demanding Athey be fired from her jobs.

While her bosses at the magazine laughed the comments off and deleted the emails, seniors at the station where she worked part-time for the last seven months were less forgiving.

'I received a call out of the blue from Jeff Boden, the vice president of Cumulus Washington, D.C, and Kriston Fancellas, the vice president of Human Resources.

Athey's tweet referenced an old UPS tagline asking 'What can brown do for you?' and decided to apply it to the color of the suit being worn by Kamala Harris during the SOTU address

'They told me that the tweet I sent about Kamala was 'racist' and that subsequent follow-ups defending myself and making fun of the efforts to cancel me were unacceptable. I had violated the company's social media policy, they said, and I was terminated effective immediately,' Athey wrote.

'They did not have the courtesy to offer me an opportunity to defend myself, nor did they speak to anyone at the program before handing down their decision.'

Athey writes in her column that she is familiar with cancel culture, although prefers to use the term 'censorship.'

Athey claims WMAL fired her without a chance to defend herself about her tweet

'I am sick and tired of conservatives apologizing to the left, staying quiet because they're afraid of burning bridges, or complaining incessantly without taking action. We will only defeat the left's bad faith attempts at censorship if we fight back.' 

Athey believes she is the latest victim of a 'dishonest smear campaign'. 

Since her firing from WMAL Radio, Athey says her appeals have all but been ignored. 

Bosses at the company has stated 'the perception of racism was more important than whether or not my tweet was actually racist' and her dismissal will not be reversed, according to The Mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment