Thursday, October 7, 2021

R.I.P.: Don Scott, WIXV Savannah PD, PM Drive Host

Don Scott
It is with heavy hearts that Cumulus Media confirms the death of Don Scott, Program Director and Afternoon On-Air Host for Cumulus Savannah's I-95/WIXV-FM, The Rock of Savannah.

Don, 65, passed away Wednesday from COVID-19 in a Savannah hospital.

He was a beloved member of the Cumulus Savannah family and joined I-95 in 1985. Originally from Miami, FL, Don started his radio career at legendary stations including WSHE-FM and Power96/WPOW-FM, then moved to Savannah to make I-95 the #1 Rock station.

He was honored by the State of Georgia in October 2020 with the Outstanding Georgia Citizen Award for exemplary community service. The award is Georgia’s highest service award and was presented to Don by Representative Carl Gilliard (D-Savannah). Throughout his 36 years with I-95, Don supported community initiatives that improved the quality of life for people in the area, supporting everything from local hunger relief efforts to Toys for Tots, Savannah Harley-Davidson “Toy Rides” and “Poker Runs” to benefit local children, as well as crime-stoppers events and SD Gunner events to help supply specially trained dogs for military, police and special needs children, and campaigns such as “St. Jude Rocks” for St. Jude Children’s Research Center and the “Turn It Pink” campaign benefiting breast cancer research.

I-95 will air a tribute show for Don Scott on Friday, October 15th in the 5:00pm Eastern hour. The tribute show will replay on I-95 on Saturday, October 16th at 3:00pm Eastern and again on Sunday, October 17th at Noon Eastern. In addition, I-95 is working with Coach's Corner on a tribute/fundraiser event in November with proceeds going to Don's family. Details for that event are forthcoming and will be announced when available at: www.i95savannah.com.

Eric Mastel, Regional Vice President/Market Manager, CUMULUS MEDIA, said: "Rock and Roll in Savannah has lost an Icon. I met Don 10 years ago when I moved to Savannah. In that time, I learned Don’s passion for his family, friends and career was exceptional. He went above and beyond in so many instances, I couldn’t begin to list them all. Whether he was helping to raise funds for charity, hosting a concert or simply executing a client remote, he left nothing on the bench. All in - all the time. I came to rely heavily on Don’s expertise and advice over that past decade. He will be greatly missed by me, his co-workers and his fans."R.I.P."

No comments:

Post a Comment