Tuesday, June 8, 2021

S-F Radio: MLB Giants' Duane Kuiper To Undergo Chemotherapy

Duane Kuiper
San Francisco Giants broadcaster Duane Kuiper will be stepping away from the booth due to a medical condition that requires him to immediately begin chemotherapy, reports USAToday.

"I wanted to let you know that I may be missing a few more Giants broadcasts than usual and I wanted to share what's going on with me," Kuiper said in a statement through the team Monday. 

Kuiper, 70, is a former Major League Baseball infielder whose broadcasting career began during his playing days with the Giants in the 1980s. A lifetime .271 hitter, Kuiper became a full-time announcer in his first year of retirement (1986) and has called Giants games since then, with the exception of one season -- 1993 -- when he was part of the Colorado Rockies' broadcast crew for their inaugural season. 

Duane Kuiper has been a longtime broadcaster for the Giants.

Kuiper and partner Mike Krukow -- a former major league pitcher -- are on NBC Sports Area for innings 1-3 and 7-9. During the middle innings, they are on the KNBR radio broadcast. 

"I want to thank my broadcast partners for their unconditional support and willingness to step in and cover for me. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me the space and privacy to focus on my health at this time. While this was not the adventure I anticipated, I'm staying positive for a quick and full recovery." 

The Giants have the luxury of a deep broadcasting bench, with Jon Miller and Dave Flemming serving as the other tandem.

"The entire Giants Family sends our love and support to Duane and his family during this challenging time," the team said in a statement. "We know we speak for Giants fans everywhere in offering our prayers for a safe, speedy and full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment