Friday, August 21, 2020

FOX Sports Drops Thom Brennaman

Thom Brennaman
One day after the Cincinnati Reds suspended radio broadcaster Thom Brennaman for using an anti-gay slur on air while calling a game, Fox Sports said Thursday that Brennaman won't be calling any NFL games on the network anymore.

Fox Sports calling what Brennaman said "abhorrent" and "unacceptable," and stated, "we are moving forward with our NFL schedule which will not include him."

Brennaman had been a part of Fox’s NFL announcer lineup since it started airing games in 1994, and also called MLB games for the network from 1996 to 2014.

The incident happened Wednesday moments after the Fox Sports Ohio feed returned from a commercial break at the top of the seventh inning of the first game of a Reds doubleheader against the Kansas City Royals, and Brennaman didn't seem to realize he was on air.

He later apologized before being taken off the broadcast in the fifth inning of the second game. Brennaman again apologized in a piece in The Cincinnati Enquirer yesterday, saying, "I could to try to explain it or tell you about who I am and what I believe, but those things would all be excuses. The simple fact is, what I said was wrong. To the LGBTQ+ community -- I am truly and deeply sorry. You should never be denigrated with crude and hateful language. I failed you, and I cannot say enough how sorry I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment