Monday, April 6, 2020

NYC Radio: John Sterling Expects Empty Ballparks

John Sterling, Suzyn Waldman
Yankees radio voice John Sterling can’t wait for this coronavirus pandemic to end so he can get back to living life as he knows and loves it.

Sterling told nj-com, he’s missing being in the Yankees radio booth calling games and talking baseball with long-time broadcaster partner Suzyn Waldman.

“Well, like everyone else, I’m, as they say, under house arrest,” Sterling said in a recent interview with Michael Kay for a YES Network “We’re Here” podcast. “You know, I’m just hoping and praying that people will follow these safety guidelines,

Sterling, 81, has been saying busy phoning friends, reading books and watching the news.

“Well, you'd like to have a normal life,” Sterling said. “There's no question that’s one of the tough things. You can't call up your friends and meet for dinner somewhere. There's no place that’s open. But I have a very lovely apartment looking over the Hudson. It’s a big apartment, and my kids will come down and bring me things and I read in the afternoon. Every afternoon I'm in the middle of a book.

“Anyway, I'm doing okay. I'm very lucky that I haven't got the virus. Suzyn hasn't gotten it. I call friends every day around the country to see how they're doing. And, you know, for them, so far so good.”


Sterling is optimistic that there will be a 2020 baseball season and he’ll eventually get to add to his total of calling more than 5,100 Yankees games.

“I don’t know when this is gonna begin,” he said. “They could have a season and play July, August, September and October. And then play the playoffs and World Series in retractable domes or warm-weather sites. For one year you can do that.

"I think if (the season started) by July, they could get in 120 games with a doubleheader every week. As we try to get life back to normal, I think when they begin there will be empty ballparks, which will be weird.

“It would be great for ratings, but it'll be weird.”

Sterling’s big concern now his health, his friends and family’s health, Yankees fans’ health … the health of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment