Monday, November 11, 2019

31st Annual Radio Hall of Famers Enjoy Memorable Ceremony

Jim Rome, Sean Hollywood Hamilton, Ryan Seacrest, Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Joe Madison, Kevin Ryder,
Gene Bean Baxter, Harry Harrison and John Tesh (Photo by Michael Kovac/Getty Images for Radio Hall of Fame)
On Friday night at Gotham Hall in New York City, Master of Ceremonies and 2018 Radio Hall of Fame inductee Mike Francesa welcomed everyone to the ceremony.  Special guests and fellow RHOF inductees Jim Bohannon, Jim Kerr and Kid Kelly were in attendance, with Bohannon serving as announcer of the event.  Francesa kept the show running smoothly, inserting quips of humor as only he can.

Jim Rome was first to receive his honor.  He acknowledged that his best work is ahead of him and that he has “…deep, deep gratitude…I’ve always had people around me who are better than me…who told me what I needed to hear, not what I wanted to hear.”

Next up was Joe Madison, who movingly thanked Sharon “Sherry” Madison, his wife and executive producer.  He told a story about when he dies and goes to heaven, “I will ask God, is Sherry here [or will she be]?  Because if she’s not, it certainly can’t be heaven.”

Actor Christian Slater then introduced Sean Hollywood Hamilton via video and commented “This man was a huge influence on me…thank you for being a part of my life.”  Hamilton first thanked all the other inductees and ultimately said, “I want to dedicate this to my love of my life, my incredible wife Marina.”

Harry Harrison commented, “…I always loved radio…to be a part of it [radio] is very exciting.  I appreciate this” and received a standing ovation. Harrison's career included for over 50 years in New York City. He is the only radio personality to be a WMCA "Good Guy", a WABC "All-American", and on the WCBS-FM line-up.

Kevin Ryder and Gene “Bean” Baxter shared sentimental remarks on the heels of Bean’s last day on air at KROQ Los Angeles on Nov. 7.  Ryder said, “I’m here because Bean chose me as his partner…he would’ve been here [RHOF} with whoever his partner was and I’m happy it was me.”  Bean then said, “I could’ve been on the radio with anyone but there wouldn’t be magic.  The universe brought us together.  We were so darn lucky that happened.”

Connie Selleca then introduced her husband John Tesh.  She generously thanked all their radio partners and talked about being in a family business.  Tesh shared that he was diagnosed with cancer in 2015 but stated he’s cancer free because of his “faith in divine healing.”  He went on to express his gratitude for his family and for the honor of being in the Radio Hall of Fame.

Dr. Ruth Westheimer talked about radio being the best medium, “…even better than TV.”  And while “…it’s nice to have become a celebrity…I see it as passing on correct information about human sexuality,” she said.

Jimmy Fallon entertained attendees with his comedic and heartfelt introduction of his friend Ryan Seacrest.  After much laughter, Seacrest said “we truly do it [radio] because it’s in our blood.  We do it because it’s something we can’t live without…I never imagined this room, these legends, this career…”

No comments:

Post a Comment