Monday, October 8, 2012

Contestant Tells Show She Was Raped To Win Cash


The co-host of KISS 92.5’s Roz & Mocha Show  in Toronto says he’s not sure if the popular radio program will issue an apology for a segment aired Thursday morning, which featured a contestant who lied about being raped in order to win a $10,000 prize.

Wendy Gillis at thestar.com reports Roz Weston said in an email to the Star that producers of the show had not yet discussed an apology, but said the contestant’s lie “took us all by surprise.”

“Having someone come in and lie about being raped was not what I had envisioned for the game,” he said.

“I would never trivialize abuse, and would never use it as entertainment. If we had known ahead of time … I’m not sure she would have been picked at all,” Weston said.

The game, called Decision Impossible, involves taking three people, asking them why they deserve the money, then forcing them to decide amongst themselves who should win.

On Thursday morning, a woman named Kristyn convinced her two fellow contestants that she was the most deserving of the $10,000 prize by talking about her life with a former boyfriend, who she claimed had been verbally and physically abusive.

“He would beat me, he would rape me,” she said. “I felt helpless, I was trapped.”

But some were suspicious about the story’s authenticity, given she had previously said on air that she would do anything to win the money — “If I have to yell and scream, I’ll do that. If I have to lie, I’ll do that too,” she said.


Tom's Take: Another silly radio contest backfire all in the name of 'entertainment'.

No comments:

Post a Comment