Thursday, February 16, 2023

Buffalo Radio: WGR’s Howard Simon Announces Retirement

Howard Simon
Longtime on-air personality and sports talk show host Howard Simon of a WGR 550 AM announced he's retiring on March 3, after more than 33 years in radio. Simon shared the news on Tuesday in an online letter, looking back on his career and thanking those who’ve been a part of his success as co-workers, friends, and more.

Simon got his start in the sports radio business in 1989 with WJJL Radio in Niagara Falls, NY. While not a native Western New Yorker, Simon adopted the region as his own and remained a mainstay on the official voice of the Buffalo Bills for over three decades.

His voice has long been a welcoming constant for Buffalo-centric sports talk radio for early morning weekday commutes and beyond.


 

Simon wrote farewells on the WGR website:
"I did radio work in Elmira, N.Y. and then Toledo, Ohio, doing everything but sports. I did some news, I was a traffic reporter, and even a country music disc jockey.

When I was hired by WJJL, I was excited to finally get my first chance to work in sports. I was absolutely thrilled to come back to Western New York.

I didn't know if I would spend the rest of my life here. I figured at some point, I would look to move on to a larger market. But I met and later married a Niagara Falls gal, started a family and made this my home.

I’m so thankful I did.

I've been very lucky to have worked alongside some wonderful people at WJJL, WBEN, Empire Sports Network and finally at WGR. I wish I could list everyone by name, but that isn't possible.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my many co-workers over the years. I've made some great, lifelong friendships, while getting a chance to do something I truly loved.

I would like to mention my co-host for the last 18 years at WGR, Jeremy White. That is the longest I worked with anyone by far!

Jeremy is super talented, extremely creative, and has a great feel for what topics will be of most interest to our listening audience. Now he did throw a shoe at me during a show one time, but I don't think he was trying to hit me on purpose.

I can't thank Jeremy enough for what he has done over the years for the morning show. Quite honestly, the poor guy has had to carry me the last couple of years."

No comments:

Post a Comment