Thursday, December 8, 2022

Celine Dion Reveals Incurable Neurological Disorder Diagnosis


Fighting back tears, Celine Dion shared in a video to fans she has been diagnosed with an incurable neurological disorder.

Speaking out on Instagram, the 54-year-old Canadian native said, "As you know, I've always been an open book. And I wasn't ready to say anything before – but I'm ready now. I've been dealing with problems with my health for a long time. And it's been really difficult for me to face these challenges and talk about everything that I've been going through."

Fox News Digital reports Dion then revealed she had been diagnosed with Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS), which she explained "affects something like one in a million people."

SPS is defined by the Cleveland Clinic as "a rare autoimmune movement disorder that affects the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord). People with this condition first experience a stiffening of the muscles of their trunk followed, over time, by the development of stiffness and rigidity in the legs and other muscles in the body."

Dion detailed the specific problems she has been having – including mobility issues.

"While we're still learning about this rare condition, we now know this is what has been causing all of the spasms I've been having. Unfortunately these spasms effect every aspect of my daily life, sometimes causing difficulties when I walk and not allowing me to use my vocal cords to sing the way I'm used to."

The mother of three shared one pre-taped video in English and one in French, explaining to fans that she will be focusing on her health, and will therefore have to postpone the European leg of her tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment