Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Louisville Radio: Drew Deener Pleads Guilty

Drew Deener
A prominent talk show host for WHBE ESPN Louisville who had been charged with domestic violence assault in March pleaded guilty Tuesday to an amended misdemeanor charge of 2nd-degree disorderly conduct.

According to WDRB, Andrew "Drew" Deener, 49, will avoid jail and be placed on diversion for nine months, with the stipulations that he remain out of trouble and have no contact with the victim. Deener must also undergo alcohol counseling.

District Court Judge Stephanie Burke also called it a "domestic violence intervention program," according to court records. 

If he abides by the diversion stipulations, the case will be dismissed and can be expunged, or erased from the records.

"It's a resolution that fairly and accurately represents what occurred that night," said attorney Keith Kamenish, who represents Deener.

 In a statement, Deener said: 

"Today I am taking full responsibility for my actions and have pled guilty to disorderly conduct, a charge which accurately describes my conduct that night. I regret that I caused this situation and am very sorry for how I acted and things I said. I behaved disrespectfully, disorderly and in a manner that was not in line with how I should ever conduct myself. I am taking steps to better myself, including receiving ongoing professional counseling. I regret the embarrassment this has caused to all impacted by my behavior. Thank you to everyone for your patience and grace to let the legal process play out. I am sorry. All I can do from here is work to be better."

It is unclear right now if and when Deener will resume hosting "The Deener Show," which airs from 7-10 a.m. weekdays on ESPN 680 and 93.9 The Ville. He previously hosted a morning radio show on 790-AM and is a former television sports reporter.

According to court documents, officers with the Louisville Metro Police Department were called to a restaurant at just after 9 p.m. March 3 after someone reported a domestic violence incident.

When officers arrived, they found Deener's girlfriend sitting on a bench. Police reported she told them she and Deener got into an argument in the parking lot, when Deener slammed her head into the side of a vehicle, according to an arrest report.

However, Deener and his attorney said in a statement he did not push the woman's head into a car.

Josh Abner, a spokesman for the county attorney's office, said the prosecuting witness "communicated that she would not cooperate in the prosecution of this case." 

At the time, the woman complained of minor injuries but declined to go to the hospital, according to police.

No comments:

Post a Comment