Friday, June 4, 2021

MLB's Bob Brenly Taking Leave of Absence

Bob Brenly
Bob Brenly will take a voluntary leave of absence from Bally Sports Arizona as the Arizona Diamondbacks television analyst after making insensitive comments about New York Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman during a recent broadcast. 

"Pretty sure that's the same do-rag that Tom Seaver used to wear when he pitched for the Mets," Brenly said while Stroman was on the mound during Tuesday’s broadcast between the two teams. 

Stroman tweeted after the game, "Onward and upward...through all adversity and racist undertones. The climb continues through all!"

"I want to apologize again for my insensitive reference on (Tuesday), as it does not reflect my values or who I am," Brenly said in a statement Thursday to The Athletic, after issuing an apology on Wednesday. "Beginning today, I have voluntarily decided to take some time off to listen, reflect and devote my attention to awareness training related to diversity and inclusion to enhance my understanding and appreciation of others. I plan to return to the booth next homestand, hopefully a better person."

Brenly also apologized to former Chicago Cubs player Aramis Ramirez, who said that Brenly was unfair to Latino players.

"My job is to describe Major League Baseball and to call it the way I see it – the good and the bad," Brenly said. "I have always tried to do so in an honest, unbiased way, regardless of a player's background or race. I am sorry that my work offended Aramis, as I think of him as one of the most successful players of his generation."

No comments:

Post a Comment