Tuesday, April 9, 2019

NYC Radio: Carton Tells ESPN 'There Are Mountains To Conquer'


WEPN ESPN 98.7FM New York’s The Michael Kay Show Monday interviewed special guest Craig Carton, former radio personality of WFAN’s Boomer & Carton. In his one-hour interview, Carton discussed his sentencing, gambling addiction, past comments about The Michael Kay Show and his future after prison.

Carton began his interview by mentioning that his appearance on The Michael Kay Show was not created to inflict a radio war with WFAN rather he was thankful for all that WFAN has done for him and his career. Carton proceeded to then discuss his sentencing and how “going to jail is his biggest fear.” When asked by Don La Greca “who is Craig Carton,” he replied “I’ am an addict.” Carton stated that his, “addiction is stronger than rational thought,” and his ego was a part of the addiction that held him back from asking for help and going to rehabilitation. Carton later went on to discuss that he is fully aware that he will have to “live with great shame for the decisions he’s made,” and that “getting arrested ultimately saved his life.” He added “I cannot gamble responsibly and I own that.”

Kay and Rosenberg questioned Carton on his past comments while at WFAN and Carton replied with, “I got paid to put on a show” and the comments were driven to entertain and get the most amount of fans to listen in. Carton added that his comments were “good for business and for the show”. He stated that he was “glad that his talent level brought a different rating level” than their current ratings to date.

When discussing his future after prison, Carton mentioned that he “would not do live reads encouraging listeners to gamble” because it would be disingenuous. With gambling being a part of sports in the future, Carton mentions that “those are his mountains to overcome” but hopes his will have a successful future after prison.

Carton ended his interview by stating he “owes his audience an apology” and “he thanks those who believed in who he was and what he said on-air.” He advised those dealing with addiction or victims of sexual assault to seek help. Carton added that the best way to apologize to his fans and audience was to appearance on 98.7FM New York since it reached the New York market. To hear the full interview, click link.

“I think I’d be number one tomorrow,” Carton said on ESPN’s The Michael Kay Show, according to The NY Post.

 “Going to prison, acknowledging what I’ve done wrong, taking full ownership of it … And being real about that, I think will have great credibility, especially with a male-dominated audience in New York.”

“I think we believe as a society in second chances,” Carton said. “Things I’ll do publicly and privately I think you’ll buy into my changed ways.”

Carton was also confronted about nasty things he said during his 10 years on the air — — including some directed at Kay.

His defense? He was just doing his job.

“Things I’ve said about your show, to me, was always good for business,” Carton said. “I’ve never thought of it as I’m attacking you personally.”

But the 50-year-old shamed shock jock was back to his old self when he said he’s somewhat happy his former co-host Boomer Esiason’s new show isn’t doing as well in the ratings.

“I took great pride in being number one,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment