The Pentagon on Friday fired the publisher and editor in chief of Stars and Stripes, the Defense Department-funded military newspaper long known for its editorial independence, according to the outgoing editor.
Publisher Max Lederer, who had announced his retirement earlier this week after disagreeing with decisions by Pentagon leaders, received a separation notice. Editor in Chief Erik Slanin and reporter Lara Korte also received separation notices Friday, Slavin said.
Slavin said he and Korte were dismissed for participating in a CBS News interview in which he stated that any hypothetical censorship of the newspaper would cross a red line. “I stand by the principle that Stars and Stripes should remain independent for service members,” Slavin told The Washington Post.
In the CBS “Sunday Morning” interview, Korte described the growing tension with the Defense Department: “I am working for Stars and Stripes. Not for the Pentagon. Not for any administration. Not for any policymaker. I am here to cover the military community.” In a Friday statement she added, “These firings are a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press.”
The firings come amid pressure on the newspaper’s independence during the second Trump administration under Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, whose top leaders have labeled the publication “woke.”
The Pentagon confirmed the three employees were fired and have five days to appeal. It declined further comment. Lederer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

