Friday, September 9, 2022

Fox Sports Radio Talker Doug Gottlieb Got It Wrong

Sports talker Doug Gottlieb

Sports talker Doug Gottlieb has apologized to MLB agent Casey Close and retracted a controversial report he made about Freddie Freeman in June, reports The NY Post.

Freddie Freeman signed with the Dodgers this past offseason on an eight-year deal worth $168 million. Gottlieb, a host for Fox Sports Radio, tweeted that Freeman had received a late offer to stay with the Braves — but Close didn’t tell him about it, and Freeman was upset with the agent (whom he wound up firing).

In July, Close sued Gottlieb for libel – and now the radio host is eating crow.

“On June 29, I commented on alleged circumstances surrounding Freddie Freeman’s negotiations with the Atlanta Braves and his relationship with his former agent Casey Close. While I always strive to report accurate information, I prematurely reported on these events and simply got it wrong. Upon further vetting of my sources, a review of the lawsuit filed against me in this matter, and a direct conversation with Casey himself, I have learned that the conduct I alleged did not occur and there is no credible basis for stating that it did,” Gottlieb tweeted on Wednesday.

“My ultimate investigation into this matter confirms that Casey Close did, in fact, communicate all offers to Freddie Freeman and the sources I relied on were incorrect, in no uncertain terms. I appreciate the damage that misinformation like this can cause and have been in touch with Casey Close to apologize directly. I have also deleted my original tweet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment