Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Troy Aikman All But Confirms Broadcasting Jump To ESPN


The Dallas Morning News reports it appears that Fox will need to find another lead analyst for its NFL broadcasts. After more than two decades in that position, Aikman is poised to leave the network to fill that role at ESPN.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea for what’s going to happen for me,” the former Cowboys quarterback said. “There is still a lot of dust to be settled and waiting for all of that to happen before any definitive announcements are made.

“But yeah, it’s been an interesting ride. Twenty-one years with Fox, a great 21 years.

“Whatever ends up happening when it’s all said and done, to still be the lead analyst for what looks to be the next five years, is something I’m real proud of, because there are a lot of guys that come out of the game,” he continued. “I think there are a lot of networks that are always looking for the newest and shiniest toy. So I’m proud of the way I’ve prepared, the way that I’ve worked and the way my work has been regarded.’’

Reports are that Aikman will move to ESPN for a five-year, $90 million contract. That’s an average of $18 million a year.

His top contract as a player never averaged more than $9.5 million.

“When I retired, I didn’t really know what my future was,” Aikman said. “I knew I was going into broadcasting for a year or two and I was going to figure out what I wanted to do with myself.

“And now, here 21 years later, to be in this situation and have the salaries get to where they’ve gotten has been pretty amazing. We’ve had people on the officiating side, for instance, who have left the league office because they can make more money in television than working their jobs with the league.

“It all seems a little backward, but I’m not complaining about it.’’

Aikman made his comments Monday afternoon.  Speculation now centers on who will be paired with Aikman at ESPN. His partner at Fox, Joe Buck, has one year left on his contract. But Aikman spoke of their close friendship Monday and hinted that what they provide as a team could be underappreciated.

The official announcement will come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment