Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Report: Chicago Radio..Hackers Scamming People With Personality I-Ds

WGCI Chicago Personality Leon Rogers

Popular Chicago radio personalities say hackers in a new social media scheme are using their likeness to steal from honest people, reports WLS-TV

Leon Rogers at WGCI 107.5 FM and DJ Sundance of WVON V103 said they're trying to clear their names after their Facebook pages were taken over and their fans were asked to invest in fake business deals.

Like many in the Chicago area, listener Phillip Vasser is a big fan of Rogers. He said when he found an apparent opportunity posted on Rogers' Facebook page to make some extra cash he was intrigued, and wondered if it was legit.

"It was a $100 to get you $1,000, all the way up to a $1,000 to get you $20,000," he said. "And so I said, OK, well, let me do at least try to come in and do this and then maybe make a few extra dollars because I was taking my kids to Disney."

V103's Sundance
Vassar said he messaged Rogers on Facebook to find out if the deal was real.

"I said, I'm not sending you a dime unless you prove to me that you you!" Vasser recalled. "And he sent me a picture of his ID, posing with it in his house with legible reading of his face and his address."

Vassar said once he saw the picture of Rogers holding his ID, he was sold. He said he sent the person $4,700 in gift card codes and bitcoin. Then he realized something wasn't right.

"He hit me with the 'Well... they need to make sure you're you. I need your Facebook password and your login,'" he recalled.

Vasser said he reluctantly sent his password and, minutes later, he was locked out of his account. The money he sent is gone.

"You're destroying a lot of families out here with the things that you doing," Vasser said.

Leon Rogers is adamant the person who is running the scheme is not him.  Rogers said he's received thousands of messages from people across the Chicago rea who were ripped off.


He said people have reached out to him demanding their money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment