Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Pundit Jeffrey Toobin Suspended For Exposing Genitals


The New Yorker said on Monday that it had suspended the staff writer Jeffrey Toobin after he exposed himself during a Zoom call last week with employees of the magazine and WNYC radio, according to The NTYTimes citing two people familiar with the call.

Staff writers at The New Yorker and employees from WNYC, which jointly produce the magazine’s podcast, were on a joint video call prepping for election night coverage, according to Vice, which first reported the episode. During a pause in the call for breakout discussions, Mr. Toobin switched to a second call that was the video-call equivalent of phone sex, according to the two people familiar with the call, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

“I made an embarrassingly stupid mistake, believing I was off-camera,” Toobin said in a statement to Vice. “I apologize to my wife, family, friends and co-workers.

“I believed I was not visible on Zoom,” he added. “I thought no one on the Zoom call could see me. I thought I had muted the Zoom video.”

Upon Toobin’s suspension, a spokesperson for the New Yorker said that the media outlet is investigating the situation. Toobin joined the New Yorker in 1993.

Despite his recently inactive status on social media, Toobin appeared Saturday on CNN. On Monday, the cable news network released a statement saying, “Jeff Toobin has asked for some time off while he deals with a personal issue, which we have granted.”



Toobin is also known for his political books, including 2020’s “True Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Investigation of Donald Trump,” as well as his legal work as a former associate counsel in the Department of Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment