Tuesday, February 5, 2013

R.I.P.: Reg Presley of The Troggs Was 71

Reg Presley
The Troggs' lead singer, Reg Presley, died on Monday, February 4th at age 71 in Andover, England after a battle with lung cancer and a series of strokes, according to Noise 11. Presley is best known for singing lead on such Troggs classics as the 1966 chart-topper, "Wild Thing," "With A Girl Like You" -- also from 1966, and 1968's Top 10 hit "Love Is All Around." The Troggs formed in 1964 and the following year, they were signed by the Kinks' manager, Larry Page.

According to Presley's daughter Karen: "He passed away peacefully at home. Myself, my brother, and our mother were with him. We're absolutely heartbroken."

On January 24th, 2012, Presley announced via the Troggs' website that he was retiring due to ill health, posting: 
"As you all know I was taken ill whilst doing a gig in Germany in December. During my stay in hospital tests showed that in fact I have lung cancer. I am receiving chemotherapy treatment and at the moment not feeling too bad. However I've had to call time on the Troggs and retire. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the cards and calls and for your love, loyalty and support over the years. A big thank you to Jackie for running the fan club and keeping you all up to speed, and a huge and special thank you to Chris, Pete and Dave. I shall miss you all. Lots of Love Reg."
 Although the band originally split in 1969, they reformed several times over the years and in 1992 members of the Troggs and R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, Mike Mills, and, Bill Berry teamed up for the studio album, called Athens Andover, named after the band's respective hometowns.


No comments:

Post a Comment