Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Get Well! Mary Beth Zolik, WRVF Toledo

It’s the news no one wants to hear. You have cancer.

Certainly it wasn’t what Mary Beth Zolik expected.

The longtime radio personality who brightens listeners’ morning commutes from 5 to 10 a.m. weekdays on Clear Channel's WRVF-FM 101.5 The River, told a coworker “I felt like I was sucker punched” by the results of a Wednesday diagnosis that showed she has Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, an aggressive but also curable cancer.

“I have no symptoms right now,” Zolik told the Toledo Blade, “so I feel good. And that was the most shocking thing of all. I thought whatever it is I’m going in for I’m sure they won’t find anything because I feel good.”

But her doctor chimed in with the gravity of the situation: “He said I may feel good now, but maybe a year from now or less than that the symptoms would have started to arise and the cancer could have escalated that much more.”

And so the 58-year-old married mother of three finds herself in a battle for her life. After announcing her cancer to Mary Beth and Rickshow listeners Tuesday morning, Zolik begins chemotherapy Thursday, the first of 18 weeks of treatment through the end of April that will keep her away from her job some of that time, depending on how her body responds to the radiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment