Thursday, October 18, 2012

Brenly Leaving Cubs’ TV Booth

UPDATE Friday 10/19:  Bob Brenly accepted the job as the Diamondbacks’ TV analyst Thursday.

Original Posting...

Bob Brenly is leaving the Cubs' television booth and informed WGN-TV that he will not return for the 2013 season. Brenly, 58, just finished his eighth season with the Cubs.

"Working here in Chicago was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my professional career," Brenly told MLB.com Wednesday. "The Ricketts family, everyone associated with the Cubs and WGN and, most importantly, Cubs' fans everywhere, will always be in our hearts, and [my wife,] Joan, and I wish nothing but the best for the organization moving forward.

"I was very blessed to have the best play-by-play man in the game as my partner for eight years and Cubs' fans are very fortunate to have Len Kasper as the voice of the Cubs," Brenly said. "I'll miss working with him, and we look fondly toward returning to Chicago in the future."

Brenly could transition into the Arizona Diamondbacks' broadcast booth. Arizona is looking for both a television play-by-play broadcaster and an analyst to replace the team of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace. The organization decided to not bring back Sutton, who was suspended for much of the 2012 season, and Grace, a former Cubs first baseman, who was arrested for his second DUI offense this past August.

"Obviously, I would be lying if I didn't say I reached out to Bob Brenly right away," D-backs team president and CEO Derrick Hall said last week. "Bob was my first call. We've had a few conversations. We just have to see if we can get creative to get competitive."

Brenly was a television analyst for the D-backs from 1998-2000 and managed the team from 2001-04, leading Arizona to the World Series in '01.

No comments:

Post a Comment