Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SiriusXM Makes Laura Dr. Feelgood

Laura Schlessigner Starts January 3rd on SiriusXM

"It took me two seconds," Laura Schlessinger said on Monday about her decision to take a multiyear talk show deal offered by Sirius XM satellite radio.

Gary Lycon at ocregister.com writes the new "Dr. Laura" live call-in show will launch Jan. 3 on Sirius channel 102 and XM channel 155 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Pacific time. It will replay later each day and on Saturday and Sunday.

Her current syndicated talk radio show will end Dec. 31. Schlessinger normally takes the holidays off, but the date has not been set yet for her last "live" program on terrestrial radio.

Schlessinger announced to Larry King on his CNN talk show Aug. 17 she was ending her radio show at the end of year, saying "I want to regain my First Amendment rights." That decision followed an Aug. 10 episode in which she repeatedly used the n-word in a caller discussion involving racially hurtful words. She later apologized.

"The day after the King interview, the head of Sirius called and said 'Come on over here, the water's fine,'" she said. Two months later, Schlessinger and her business representative Geoff Rich met in New York with Mel Karmazin, Sirius CEO; Jeremy Coleman, senior vice president, talk and entertainment programming; and Scott Greenstein, president and chief content officer.

Dr. Laura: "I sat there and I listened to these men appreciate what I had done my entire career, appreciate my guts in never giving up, appreciate the value I offer on the air, and wanting to support me. That was it. It took me two seconds. I said 'I'm on board.' They said all the things that mattered. I have never heard radio executives talk like this. My heart pumped."

Read more here.
Also read here:

Defiant Dr. Laura Targets Foes in New Radio Show (ABCnews.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment