Tuesday, July 13, 2021

ESPN's Smith Apologizes For Comments About Ohtani

Shohei Ohtani and Stephen A Smith

ESPN Sports Anchor Stephen A Smith has apologized to a Japanese baseball player for saying that his use of interpreters in interviews damages the sport.  

Smith, who is black, was accused of xenophobia after saying that Los Angeles Angels pitching and hitting sensation Shohei Ohtani's translators negatively impacts Major League Baseball's popularity.

'The fact that you got a foreign player that doesn't speak English, believe it or not, I think contributes to harming the game to some degree, when that's your box office appeal,' Smith said during Monday's episode of First Take.

Smith was fiercely criticized for his comments, but initially resisted backing down.  By Monday night, however, he had changed his mind and issued an apology.

'Let me apologize right now,' Smith wrote on Twitter. 



'As I'm watching things unfold, let me say that I never intended to offend any community, particularly the Asian community - and especially Shohei Ohtani, himself. 

'As an African-American, keenly aware of the damage stereotyping has done to many in this country, it should've elevated my sensitivities even more. 

'Based on my words, I failed in that regard and it's on me, and me alone.'


Smith, who earns $12 million a year in his sports anchor role, said that he had 'screwed up'.

In spite of his perceived language barrier, Ohtani made history on Monday by being named the leadoff hitter and starting pitcher for the American League in Tuesday's All-Star Game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment